Although the Leith Club was officially registered and
affiliated with the NZAAA on March 9th, 1925, its beginnings
were two years before this. Several lads of the
Woodhaugh-Leith Valley district got together, after having
already played football or hockey, and went for a run.
Some members of a Boys Club organised by the local Anglican
Vicar, and, such was their enthusiasm, and so quickly did the
idea gain favour with their friends, that the following year
(1924) they formed the Daisy Athletic Club.
The following is a quote from Leith's Tenth Anniversary
Booklet about the Daisy Club:
- "Although 1925 was the official year of the "Leith" Club,
its history goes back further than that. Back in the
good old days when it was easy to tell one car from another,
the Rev. S. Weymouth, vicar of Holy Innocents, Leith Valley,
formed a Boys Club from among members of his parish.
These youths ignored the possible ridicule of those
self-styled humorists who think it is a great joke to see men
sporting themselves in short pants, took to cross country
running, often accompanied by the Reverent gentleman himself.
The sport was novel to them. They liked it. The
idea caught on. Enthusiasm was aroused and before
longthe athletics side of the Boys Club became all-important.
The name Daisy Athletic Club was adopted, and under the
leadership of Freddy Canter, the members set out to make a
name for themselves:
From this small beginning, over the years the Leith Club has
gained a prominent position in Otago as a Track and Field Club
as well as a Harrier Club. Our members have performed with
distinction on athletic arenas, across country, and on the the
road, throughout New Zealand, while a few have gained the
coveted honour of representing their country.
The sportsmanship and comradeship of those early days is
just as important in our club today. We trust that the
future of the Leith Club will be just as successful, competively
and sociably, as it has been in the past.